Foxy Amelia Jacket


 A very long time ago, I bought yardage of an adorable fox print in japanese cotton oxford from Stonemountain and Daughters. I had absolutely no idea what I would do with it, until I saw the Amelia Jacket on the cover of the Lisa Comfort Magazine from Sew Over It.

It's now available as a stand alone pattern so you don't have to buy the now discontinued magazine. 


The Amelia is a cloth bomber jacket with elasticized wrists and waist band. It sewed up very easily with no adjustments, and is now a staple in my wardrobe since I finished it in March. It doesn't have pockets, and normally I add them to my makes, but I feel it would really destroy the lines of the jacket. I just make sure to wear it with other items that do have pockets.

I did have difficulty sourcing a metal separating zipper - but eventually found one I liked with a round decorative pull from the zipper lady.

Forgive the clashing patterns - I had literally just finished it.

The zipper the pattern required wound up being a bit long for my actual jacket - I learned how to use pliers to take off metal zipper teeth and then re-clamp the zipper stop at the top. It's fairly straightforward.

The one issue I did run into was bagging in the lining at both the sleeves and bottom hem by hand was very time consuming. I was lucky to be spending time with friends talking on their porch as I finished.

I think I'll try and find a way to minimize hand sewing if I sew it up in a different fabric in the future.

I wear this jacket all the time - with jeans, dresses, skirts... I love the fact that it's high waisted, and it's so comfortable.



 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elodie Dress with a Ogden Cami Slip

Centaurée Dress

Newcastle Cardigan for my Brother In Law