Elodie Dress with a Ogden Cami Slip

In May, I dropped by Finch to pickup something I had ordered that had arrived, and found that they had new fabric in, which is always dangerous. Does it matter that I have a backlog of sewing projects to complete when there's shiny new fabric to be had? No it does not. 

The fabric to catch my eye was this lovely nearly sheer white, pink and grey striped light weight woven fabric. It has a lovely hand feel, and drapes very nicely.

Because of how sheer it was, I worried about what pattern to make, and the lovely finchettes recommended the Elodie Dress by Closet Core, with a slip underneath. I don't know of a slip pattern out there, so we decided to lengthen and modify the Ogden Cami by True/Bias and make a slip out of a lovely grey fabric that was also in stock. 

Closet core has written a guide for adjustments for the pattern. Closet core patterns are based on a B-cup, and instead of doing a true SBA for this pattern, I used the alternate method for a small SBA - using the size 6 back pattern (graded for my waist) and a size 4 front pattern, graded to my waist size, as the 1" difference. It warns that there will be a little bit of length to adjust when going up or down in size on the front bodice, but I forgot. Oh well, lesson learned I guess.


I decided to make the dress with the length of View A, but the longer sleeves of View B. The longer sleeves are very romantic in my personal opinion. 

Because the fabric is so lightweight and sheer, I decided to use french seams, which look lovely. the pleats under the bust are a darling touch, and were very easy to sew. The dolman style sleeves are also wonderful - no setting in sleeves!


The slip to go underneath was a bit more complicated. As I had no idea how my extension of the Ogden Cami was going to work, I made a mockup in cotton poplin. It wasn't too terrible. In fact, I use it quite often. Later I remembered I have a nightgown that fits very well, like a slip, and I should have used that as a template. 

I used the ogden as the base (having a bodice lining, and the way of construction) but made the second slip following said nightgown in the grey fabric. This means that it's straight across the back, so I know which is front and which is back better.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Centaurée Dress

Newcastle Cardigan for my Brother In Law